Catastrophe, the British series about an unplanned pregnancy and a rushed marriage, has been called a “rom-com for grown-ups.” Spoiler alert for Season 2, which debuted Friday on Amazon: That no longer applies. The excellent, if uncomfortable, new season picks up three years later, when Rob (Rob Delaney) and Sharon (Sharon Horgan) are parents to two children and fully in the zone of marital struggle. Below, the five moments that make Catastrophe the worst rom-com — but also one of the best shows — on television:
- Sharon won’t have sex with Rob because she needs to finish the random show she’s watching in between the end of Mad Men and the return of Game of Thrones.
- Rob still has Sharon as “Sharon London Sex” in his phone even though they’ve been married for three years.
- Sharon admits to Rob that she loves her kids way more than she loves him, while also acknowledging that she’s the last thing Rob thinks about after the kids, work, sleep, and using the toilet, in that order.
- Two words: sexual raincheck.
- For their third-anniversary surprise — after two anniversaries spent sitting at a dinner table and crying — Rob arranges a cheese-making class.
This piece originally appeared in the April 11, 2016, edition of the Ringer newsletter.