Candace Payne has had a busy week. On Thursday, the 37-year-old mother of two went to Kohl’s, bought a Wookiee mask, and got back in her car to livestream herself on Facebook giddily trying it on. Not long after she took it off, she would need to hire a publicist.
Since then, Payne’s video has been viewed over 145 million times, and she was soon launched onto a path paved by modern history’s renegade llamas and Damn Daniels. Below, a 10-step guide to a post-viral existence. Godspeed.
1. Collect gifts from any and all corporations in exchange for selling your soul on social media. Companies that have literally nothing to do with your content are welcome.
2. Agree to a breathless New York Times write-up describing the shock of your sudden fame.
3. Appear on Good Morning America and/or on Ellen’s couch and/or in James Corden’s karaoke car.
4. Go on a glorified tour of the social media company that hosted your content.
5. Sell the rights to your video to BuzzFeed and/or Jukin Media.
6. Launch your own ringtone.
7. Dabble in sponsored content and paid appearances.
8. Run the red carpet Snapchat at the Webbys.
9. Become a Halloween costume.
10. Star in a Delta Airlines commercial — if you’re lucky.