Hello! (Yeah!) And welcome to Binge Mode! Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion continue their exploration of the Harry Potter universe by diving deep into Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, chapters 1-5. To help guide you on that journey, here is a map of the 11th episode of Binge Mode: Harry Potter. It’s not quite as detailed as the Marauder’s Map, but don’t fear: The podcast is just as magical.
- Mallory and Jason start their journey, of course, on the Hogwarts Express, providing a brief refresher on what actually happened in these five chapters. Harry receives a permission slip to visit Hogsmeade that he needs signed, flees from the Dursleys on the Knight Bus (after accidentally inflating his Aunt Marge), and has a traumatic encounter with the newest members of Hogwarts’s security staff—the Dementors—on the actual Hogwarts Express.
- They continue by diving into the Pensieve, where they analyze the central theme of this section of the book: fear.
- Next, they sneak into the Restricted Section so Mallory can teach us everything we need to know about the Knight Bus.
- After reemerging from that section of the library, Mallory and Jason discuss the Seven, where they share their seven favorite insights and observations from this swath of chapters. Here, they examine Ron’s birthday bundle to Harry, our first introduction to Thestrals, and more.
- Finally, they award the House Cup to a worthy winner of the five chapters. This episode’s recipient is Sirius Black, who executes the first-ever (we think) successful escape from Azkaban, setting the stage for a number of destiny-altering shifts.
On Tuesday, Mallory and Jason return for Episode 12 of Binge Mode: Harry Potter, in which they will break down chapters 6-10 of Prisoner of Azkaban. For the full podcast, subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts, and follow along on Twitter and join the Facebook group, which is just for Binge Mode fans. We await your digital Owl Post!