Hello! (Yeah!) And welcome to Binge Mode! Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion continue their exploration of the Harry Potter universe by diving deep into Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapters 15-18. To help guide you on that journey, here is a map of the ninth episode of Binge Mode: Harry Potter. It’s not quite as detailed as the Marauder’s Map, but don’t fear: The podcast is just as magical.
- Mallory and Jason start their journey, of course, on the Hogwarts Express, providing a brief refresher on what actually happened in these four chapters. Harry and Ron follow the spiders, play detective, and venture down into the Chamber of Secrets; Harry defeats the memory of Tom Riddle and the basilisk; and Dobby receives the greatest gift for a house elf: a sock.
- They continue by diving into the Pensieve, where they analyze the central theme of this section of the book: revelations.
- Next, they sneak into the Restricted Section so Mallory can teach us everything we need to know about phoenixes, one of our favorite magical creatures in all of literature.
- After reemerging from that section of the library, Mallory and Jason discuss the Seven, where they share their seven favorite insights and observations from this swath of chapters. Here, they explore the chamber’s architecture, theorize about a possible Newt–Hagrid connection, and more.
- Finally, they award the House Cup to a worthy winner of the four chapters. This episode’s recipient is Fawkes, who saves Harry’s life many times over in this section alone.
On Friday, Mallory and Jason return for Episode 10 of Binge Mode: Harry Potter, in which they will break down the movie adaptation of Chamber of Secrets. For the full podcast, subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts, and follow along on Twitter and join the Facebook group, which is just for Binge Mode fans. We await your digital Owl Post!