Hello! (Yeah!) And welcome to Binge Mode! Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion continue their exploration of the Harry Potter universe by diving deep into Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapters 6-10. To help guide you on that journey, here is a map of the seventh episode of Binge Mode: Harry Potter. It’s not quite as detailed as the Marauder’s Map, but don’t fear: The podcast is just as magical.
- Mallory and Jason start their journey, of course, on the Hogwarts Express, providing a brief refresher on what actually happened in these five chapters. Harry takes his first Defense Against the Dark Arts class with Professor Lockhart, attends Nearly Headless Nick’s deathday party on a mysterious night, and suffers a broken arm—and then a complete removal of his arm bones—on the Quidditch pitch.
- They continue by diving into the Pensieve, where they analyze the central theme of this section of the book: pride and prejudice.
- Next, they sneak into the Restricted Section so Mallory can teach us everything we need to know about ghosts, both inside Hogwarts and throughout the wider wizarding world.
- After reemerging from that section of the library, Mallory and Jason discuss the Seven, where they share their seven favorite insights and observations from this swath of chapters. Here, they examine Ginny Weasley foreshadowing, Harry’s confrontations with Filch and observations of the caretaker’s office, and more.
- Finally, they award the House Cup to a worthy winner of the five chapters. This episode’s recipient is Hermione, who displays bravery typical of a Gryffindor and a rule-breaking defiance atypical of her character in this section.
On Wednesday, Mallory and Jason return for Episode 8 of Binge Mode: Harry Potter, in which they will break down chapters 11-14 of Chamber of Secrets. For the full podcast, subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts, and follow along on Twitter and join the Facebook group, which is just for Binge Mode fans. We await your digital Owl Post!