Hello! (Yeah!) And welcome to Binge Mode! Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion continue their exploration of the Harry Potter universe by diving deep into Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, chapters 11-14. To help guide you on that journey, here is a map of the third episode of Binge Mode: Harry Potter. It’s not quite as detailed as the Marauder’s Map, but don’t fear: The podcast is just as magical.
- Mallory and Jason start their journey, of course, on the Hogwarts Express, providing a brief refresher on what actually happened in these four chapters. Harry wins his first two Quidditch matches in dramatic fashion, discovers the Mirror of Erised and solves the mystery of Nicolas Flamel, and helps Hagrid smuggle a dragon out of the country.
- They continue by diving into the Pensieve, where they analyze the central theme of this section of the book: longing.
- Next, they sneak into the Restricted Section so Mallory can teach us everything we need to know about dragons, a group of untamable and dangerous magical beasts.
- After reemerging from that section of the library, Mallory and Jason discuss the Seven, where they share their seven favorite insights and observations from this swath of chapters. Here, we encounter events with massive implications for Deathly Hallows, a bundle of Fred and George gems, and more.
- Finally, they award the House Cup to a worthy winner of the four chapters. This episode’s recipient is Harry, who wins his first honor on the strength of his Quidditch successes and discoveries.
Tomorrow, they return for Episode 4 of Binge Mode: Harry Potter, in which they will break down chapters 15-17 of Sorcerer’s Stone. For the full podcast, subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts, and follow along on Twitter and join the Facebook group, which is just for Binge Mode fans. We await your digital Owl Post!