Hello! (Yeah!) And welcome to Binge Mode! Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion continue their exploration of the Harry Potter universe by diving deep into Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, chapters 6-10. To help guide you on that journey, here is a map of the second episode of Binge Mode: Harry Potter. It’s not quite as detailed as the Marauder’s Map, but don’t fear: The podcast is just as magical.
- Mallory and Jason start their journey, of course, on the Hogwarts Express, providing a brief refresher on what actually happened in these five chapters. Harry meets the Weasleys and befriends Ron on the Hogwarts Express; arrives at Hogwarts, is sorted into Gryffindor house, and starts taking classes; and helps defeat a troll, after which he befriends Hermione Granger.
- They continue by diving into the Pensieve, where they analyze the central theme of this section of the book: friends and foes.
- Next, they sneak into the Restricted Section so Mallory can teach us everything we need to know about the Sorting Hat, a thousand-year-old Hogwarts delight.
- After reemerging from that section of the library, Mallory and Jason discuss the Seven, where they share their seven favorite insights and observations from this swath of chapters. Here, we’re introduced to a bevy of castle oddities, encounter a deeply symbolic Harry dream, and more.
- Finally, they award the House Cup to a worthy winner of the five chapters. This episode’s recipient is Ron, who helps Harry acclimate to the wizarding world and performs a new spell to provide the knockout blow to the troll.
Tomorrow, they return for Episode 3 of Binge Mode: Harry Potter, in which they will break down chapters 11-14 of Sorcerer’s Stone. For the full podcast, subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts, and follow along on Twitter and join the Facebook group, which is just for Binge Mode fans. We await your digital Owl Post!