Hello! (Yeah!) And welcome to Binge Mode! Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion continue their exploration of the Harry Potter universe by diving deep into Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapters 1-5. To help guide you on that journey, here is a map of the sixth episode of Binge Mode: Harry Potter. It’s not quite as detailed as the Marauder’s Map, but don’t fear: The podcast is just as magical.
- Mallory and Jason start their journey, of course, on the Hogwarts Express, providing a brief refresher on what actually happened in these five chapters. Harry receives a foreboding visit from Dobby the house elf, escapes Privet Drive to visit the Weasleys, and travels to Hogwarts via flying car after missing the train.
- They continue by diving into the Pensieve, where they analyze the central theme of this section of the book: obstacles.
- Next, they sneak into the Restricted Section so Mallory can teach us everything we need to know about the Whomping Willow, a valuable tree that will make other important appearances throughout the series.
- After reemerging from that section of the library, Mallory and Jason discuss the Seven, where they share their seven favorite insights and observations from this swath of chapters. Here, they examine the magical items in Borgin and Burkes, break down both Dobby-specific and broad foreshadowing, and more.
- Finally, they award the House Cup to a worthy winner of the five chapters. This episode’s recipient is the Weasley family, who welcome Harry into their home and fill this whole section with joy.
Tomorrow, Mallory and Jason return for Episode 7 of Binge Mode: Harry Potter, in which they will break down chapters 6-10 of Chamber of Secrets. For the full podcast, subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, or wherever you get podcasts, and follow along on Twitter and join the Facebook group, which is just for Binge Mode fans. We await your digital Owl Post!